After all the snow and cold yesterday was warm and fantastic. So Aaron and I decided to hold Sunday School outside. A bit of running around games first, then a study and then onto making crowns as the activity. Afterwards there was a lot of climbing happening, both on the pagoda and up trees.
Well two weeks ago I sowed a pile of seeds. Knowing this to be optimistic but I just couldn't resist. Inspite of three days of snow and some incredibly chilly weather after I have sprouts!!! The little container is a pile of mizuna to cut and use in salads just as new leaves. In the big container is my mix for mescalin salad - some red and green bok choy, coriander, red lettuce. All things quite cold hardy and yummy in another four weeks we will be having summer salad.
I planted some presprouted cauliflower in amongst what is my new strawberry bed. I had a big clean out of the old strawberry bed which has been going strong for 9 years. But have decided to reduce that in size and slowly phase out whilst starting somewhere new. The new season's broad beans are in the back of the bed and I am looking forward to broad bean humus.Yum.
Or for those from the UK - lemon curd. Snowing again!!! Incredible that we have had two big snows in three weeks, when normally we only get snow about every four years. To think that I had just gotten very optimistic and sown some seeds in the glasshouse last week.
The lemons are from Margo and Warwicks tree. Always good to cook when it's cold. I had made a pavlova that went terribly wrong (I have never ever had that happen before) and there were egg yolks left over from that.
I also tried making it in the microwave. Just giving it short bursts. It worked really well.
I have finished my second Christmas present. A pin cushion for my friend Kris in the UK. Somehow when I stitched it up I got it a bit lopsided. It is not my best - issues with centering of stitching etc. But I was inspired by Leanne Beasley's magazine "Vignette" which had a pin cushion for remembrance in it. Anyway. My design and my way. Using recycled linen from an old linen shirt, and cosmo threads.
A couple of months ago I showed the beginning of a quilt using "strings". Well while I was away on my annual quilting retreat (absolutely fantastic three day weekend!!) I finished the quilt top. Picture does not do it justice. I am really please with it. Now for the pining out and quilting.