Sunday, January 12, 2014

I declared today a sewing day

And then I promptly did everything but sew.

I changed the beds, did four loads of washing and hung it out, checked the chickens, gardened for an hour, did some grocery shopping, baked a cake, heated leftovers for dinner...... and then finally I sewed.

I did not attack any of my many many uncompleted projects. But I did start and FINISH a project. I made a pile of pillowcases for the pillows in the caravan.
sewing for the home

Now this might seem like a daft sewing project but I like 100% cotton, crisp and cool pillowcase to lay my cheek on at night. The caravan gets the rejects - the old towels, the grotty old pillowcases etc and I was sick of yucky polycotton that does not stay cool at night.

I had a fat quarter of the cool retro car and caravan material, the boys immediately tried to commandeer those ones. Then I used another camping themed material.


The main body of the pillowcase was a queen sized valance I purchased from the Op Shop (Charity Shop) for $3. It is a really good brand and 100% cotton.
The total cost of each pillowcase ending out to be about $2.00 each. My kind of price!!


The retro car and caravan material

The other camping themed material

















I link to these places.

12 comments:

  1. Yay for sewing days and achieving things! Great material for the pillowcases :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I would be just as chuffed at that price too :) Love the accent fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, those pillowcases look great. Well done! I had a sewing day today, photo up soon! I am interested in knowing how you got on with your bias binding maker? I spent a fair portion of today making my own, and its a fair old task...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought one and it is great. Use any material you like. You can borrow it.

      Delete
  4. Nice!! I like them a lot and I totally agree that there is nothing that beats 100% cotton in a pillowcase/duvet/sheet!! I declared the day a sewing day too. It never really happened either.. I made one peg bag. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that camping themed material! Very cool retro print.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. ditto, the camping fabric is fantastic, and $2!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing beats cotton pillowcases. Where did you get the tent fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the material from the Make Cafe - I used their online shop (used to be called Sew Pretty). But it was over a year ago.

      Delete
  8. What a great fabric- I love The Make Café.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fabric is great! I love a cool crisp cotton pillowcase too :) Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....