Tuesday, March 14, 2017

A finished scrap quilt

I have finally sandwiched, quilted and bound this patchwork. Another quilt ready to be sent to the orphanage at Hope Homes International. This quilt I made totally improvisational. But to give it some structure I used a 1 inch strip of red in random places. It has a lovely flannelette back to be snugly on a bed. Pleased to get it done as it has been sitting in the wardrobe for a wee while.

scrap quilting
I just stippled it as the batting was a lot of leftover bits, so stippling for quilting keeps it altogether. I am trying to do all my mending and bits lying around. I have a new overlocker I have not yet used because I just cannot start another project. But have cleared it to the point that there is a space to put it. So when I come back from my work trip I will have some fun with it. In the meantime my mending meant I had to learn a new skill. 

I taught myself how to do shirring. I love shirring but have just been too scared of it as it looks so complicated. But it really is not. The blue is the practice and the shirt is now mended. Four not quite even or straight rows, but I am pretty pleased.
Linking to these places and Crazy mum quilts. and 2017 FAL

Scraptastic Tuesday

13 comments:

  1. great finish, one that will be loved! Mending, my machine doesn't do that :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a great quilt! It will be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful quilts and to donation them is a wonderful gift you have!! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs, Jody ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely scrap quilt and a great feeling of a finish. Well done for tackling shirring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvellous gift that scrappy quilt is! Bravo on your generous donation. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red accent strips add visual interest to the scrappy blocks. Nice quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great scrap quilt and I love the effect of the red strips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great scrappy quilt, I love this! I also like the way you added those strips of random red, wonderful accent pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The red ties the quilt together beautifully, Karen. A lovely quilt! Shirring is much easier than it looks, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Congratulations on your finished goal. On behalf of the 2017 FAL hosts, thanks for linking up and sharing your work! Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this quilt ---- that red accent strip is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful quilt, it will be very much loved and appreciated. I love the random placing of the red strips; great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....